Monday, June 28, 2004

51. Last Day

Today is Diana's last day of work for the summer. William woke up at 6:45, just as she was leaving. I'd gotten about 5 hours sleep. I don't function well on 5 hours sleep. But I fed him and rocked him to sleep. He woke up pretty quickly from his nap, and I fed and rocked him back to sleep. I slept with him on me for a while, and then I roll him off, and I guess he sleep deeper when he's been physically sleeping on someone, and when someone is close to him. So I got to sleep for about an hour, till 10. Then Diana called. Nothing is going on at her school, she wanted me to bring William. It's my last day with him like this, so I was reluctant. But my sleep deprivation put me in a bad mood. But I thought, she needs him for today. I remember how weirdly difficult the last day is, how draining it all is. I thought this might help her, so I drove him over to her. Now I'm missing him. He's a sweet little boy.

He digs his heels into the ground, like he's going to turn over soon. He's very strong and demanding, which is good, I guess he expects his needs to be met, and they usually are in a timely manner. He pooped twice, and this is a new factor. If he's fussy, and he's eaten and his diaper has been changed, he can be gassy or wanting to push one out. The grunting is a tell tale sign. Sleep crankiness is very close, sometimes I can't tell.

We went home really late last night. Diana did not finish the wash until late. We left just as Virginia was returning with Robyn and Natasia. She's got those two adorable girls today, after a day of Brian and Joseph. She's the super aunt. She apologized to Diana for not helping her out more, but there's no need. She does so much, and obviously she was focusing on Brian and Joseph. With all her god children, and her nephews and nieces, she's quite spread around, but she has a lot of love to offer, so nobody feels cheated.

No comments: