Monday, June 14, 2004

34. last post on naming ceremony

He's grunting, but he's slept a long time. Diana said she was trying to wake me up to make me take care of him in the night, but I didn't wake up and she finally got up around 4:30am, close enough to her wake up time of 5. I've been napping a lot with him today. I feel kind of lost because I've finished Dry by Augusten Burroughs, and I really enjoyed it. I would like to keep reading it. I read the newspaper and my latest One Story magazine. There's nothing much on TV, and after a few Pistons/Lakers highlights, I'd had enough of the sports news. It seems the Yankees can't lose, how annoying.

My mother wants more info on the naming ceremony. We started late, because Harry was really late, over an hour. I said, "maybe he's coming this time because he wanted to miss is." But he finally came and Vajramati finally got into the bathroom and then we began. Vajramati explained the ceremony. I read the Metta Sutra, which has a line about caring for people the way a mother cares for her only child, and that's come to mean more to me. Then we chanted some stuff in Sanskrit, and English. We tied thread around everyone, and Andrew read the Mangala Sutra. And Vajramati read a blessing, and then again in English. The we snipped the threads and we all tied them around our wrists. And it was over.

We had a spread of cheeses, humus, fruit salad, chips and salsa. Harry and Michael drank beer. After a while some people left. I drove Vajramati, Sita and Andrew to the subway, then went for a walk with Vava and Cliff. Then the party moved to Diana's mother's house, where she had cooked some. I walked Cliff and Vava half way to the subway.

Virginia left early because she had to get home to clean her house for a party she was having. Both Diana and I felt guilty that we should help her with her party, but she said we have the baby and that makes life more complicated, and she was OK. She called me when she was trying to light the charcoal fire and was having difficulty. But the people came. Diana took William to church with her mother and she hung out with him yesterday. I got a lot of sleep and napped too. But Monday is still cruel to wake up to. We have a doctor's appointment, and we are watching Natasia between Diana's mother going to work and Aida arriving to pick her up. I've been pretty lazy, just reading and napping with William. He's a cute good little boy.

He's gone from the 1-2 size diaper, to the size 2 diaper. He never was 0 size. He's wearing 6-9 months clothing and he's only 2 months. A lot of his clothes already don't fit him. We've got a lot of year old clothing, but not so much this size. He's OK though. I'm tired. I'm going to lay with him. I'm surprised he hasn't woken up yet, I've got the bottle ready. He woke up really hungry this morning and sucked down a bottle. He even cried when I took it away to burp him for a minute. No day is ever the same, you can't step into the same stream twice, which Cliff kept saying on Saturday.

No comments: