Wednesday, October 27, 2004

137. Lucky

William went to bed around 7:30 on Tuesday night. He woke enough to eat a few times. When I got home at 9:37 he was sprawled on Diana, who's eyes were blinking like she had a hard time staying awake. After Scrubs, I turned the TV off, and we went to bed. Diana fell asleep before she could even undress. Poor lamb is so tired, she can't even get undressed. I was a little worried, because that is what happened last Thursday before she got a migraine. I got up at 3 when William woke up, and he cried when I put him back down at 3:15, so I slept with him on the couch until 4. Diana got up at 5. She put him in bed at 7, to go to work and he woke up. In those situations I might as well get up and take Diana to work by car, so I did. Diana put on a red sweat suit with Tigger on the front. He looked very cute. I attributed to William an appreciation of the sun on the clouds as I took him to the car. Driving I appreciated the turning leaves. William fell asleep and that let me check the oil which I've neglected to check in a while. It was alright.

He woke up when I took him out of the seat. I brought him in and set him in various place: the couch, the floor (with a blanket underneath), the bed, his crib, his swing, his feeding chair. He's quickly discontent. When he walks around, he points his arm, and likes it when I let him explore where he wants. But the trouble is he starts to wreck things, so there's only so much of that I can do. I try to get him to play with his toys, but he's more interested in what he can not get to. I put a teddy bear so it's foot hangs down over the shelf above where we change him. He always contorts to try and get it, making diaper changing a bit harder. He did stay in his crib a while. I also noticed that if I hold him for a while, he will stay somewhere longer. I suppose it's all ways the mob boss gets me to stay near him. Sometimes he just voices discontent, like the car behind you honks when the light changes, just in case you were not paying attention.

He did not eat much breakfast. He smooshed the oatmeal all over his face and hair. I called him oatmeal face for a while. I played Rapper's Delight to try to improve his mood, but it didn't work, he was dumbstruck. Last night when I was eating, he was opening his mouth along with me. He grabs the spoon which makes for a big mess.

After a few false starts, I finally got him to nap. We laid down, and he didn't like laying on his back and woke up, so I put him on my chest. After a while I rolled, and he was laying on his side in a cute position, with his arms and tiny fists curled up around and framing his cute little sleeping face. When he woke up it was time to go over to Abuela's.

I'm very lucky Diana bore such a wonderful baby. I'm lucky to have such a hard working wife who get ambushed by sleep. I'm lucky to have an Abuelo who has yet to say no to me when I ask if I can bring William over, I hope I have not taken advantage of that. I'm lucky to have Virginia around and all her generosities. I'm lucky to have my friends, my sangha, my family. I am very lucky feeling today.

Odds and ends: I read Madonna's book Mr. Peabody's Apple, and I thought it was pretty good. Diana borrowed it from the school library. The subway is 100 years old today. William is 6.5 months. John Cleese is 65. I am 37.5

No comments: