Wednesday, October 20, 2004

131. Tug of war

I tried to let Diana do work last night, but I get tired, and when she's there, it's natural to hand him off to her. She's the one who can feed him with her body. She didn't mind tonight, but I have done that in the past, and I'm trying not to. William fell asleep, but then he woke up when I tried to take his bib off in preparation for bed. Diana fed him some more. She's not producing as much milk, but I think she's still producing and it's not gotten less, it seems to have stabilized.

We put him to bed, and settled in, and he woke up. I got up and watched the rest of the Yankees game. I'm glad they lost. I hope they lose tonight and their season is over. I want to see A-Rod pouting in the dugout. Poor poor multimillionaire playing a kids game, playing for the NY mercenary all stars.

Diana got up at early for work and I saw her carrying William, so she must have fed him. I fed him at 8, and then he fell asleep and slept till 10, a new record. I had crazy dreams in that time.

He didn't want to sit for long, nor play at his gym, though he did that longer. I fed him oatmeal for breakfast. He's good at slowing things down when he doesn't want to eat. They say don't feed them too early because they can't refuse it, and they can over eat. Well, I'm not worried William will over eat, he lets me know. I'm so into pressing food on him, that I worry he's a "snacker". They said that was the danger in the hospital. I'm not sure that's real. If he cried for food at the least hint of hunger, maybe, but he builds up, like in all things.

I ran out and put the car into the garage, to avoid a ticket. He wasn't crying when I got back, and it only took me 3 minutes. I timed it. I was torn, I didn't want to struggle him into the car seat for a 1 minute ride. I didn't want to risk holding him. So I chose the dash while he was in the crib. I think leaving him in the crib for 3 minutes is not a crime, but why do I feel so guilty about it?

I gave him a bath. I think the key to bathing William is going slow, and not getting too attached to results, and of course safety. It's difficult to wash his hands before he puts them into his mouth. Diana always moves the dish soap, which I find annoying, but today when he reached for it, I understood why she moves it. He grabbed the bowl I use to splash water over him, and then I got another one. He grabbed that one too. I laughed writing that, he's so funny. I put him on my shirt, which makes me a little wet, but makes putting on his special towel with the hood on, easier.

He loves the wash cloth. We played a little tug of war with it, and that got him laughing. I don't really like him sucking on it, but I guess that's how he learns that soapy water is not so much fun to drink.

He watched some of the Baby Einstein Bach, which he watched intensely, but arched his back after a while, so I shut it off and took him away. I called Abuela. She was willing to take him for a few hours, let me get some things done, get him outside, let him bond with his Abuela. He fought getting dressed up for the trip some, but I can make him laugh. I don't want to play that hand too much. I put him in the stroller, and he cries when I get out of sight, like when I have to get my socks. I guess that's attachment behavior to cry when I'm not in sight. I like to get him outside, and he always is glad to see his Abuela. I give her an outline of the morning, and asked her to feed him lunch. He hadn't had his 11 o'clock nap, because he got up late, so he probably took a nap. I've had lunch and read some of the Sports Illustrated. I've got to read for dharma study tonight, and I want to read more of Stern's book on babies. So much to do, so little time.

No comments: