Monday, October 11, 2004

121. Unemployed?

I marvel at William trying to grab hold of water. He's still figuring it out. We gave him a bath last night, and then Diana went to bed. William went to bed soon after. Diana got up at a very early hour and left for her class. William woke up around 9. I actually woke up before him and snoozed until he started waking up. He let out a cry and went back to sleep and gradually woke up. It's like he's giving me some time to get ready to get him. We hung out for a little while until Virginia came. Virginia just left with him, taking him to church. There's mass and then right after is Nicole's baptism. I'll pick Diana up from her class, and go over to the party later. Diana left me with the task of getting a savings bond for Nicole. We had a hard time finding an outfit for William. All his pants are too tight. We don't have so many non pajama long sleeved outfits. He's such a growing boy, we need to go shopping for outfits. Virginia bought him a beautiful snow suit for winter. She's generous with material gifts, effort and time. There are so many people that help out.

I curled up on the couch and watched the first half of the Giants game. Then I picked up Diana, and went to Nicole's baptism party. It was a good party, though I'm an old fuddy duddy, and I don't like loud music. William picked at the scab near his eye, and made it bigger. I slept with him for a little in the front room, which was the quietest space, until till the kids relinquished the TV, and then I watched the Jets game. William was passed around. Paquita, Jimmy and Veronica seem to enjoy William. I watched the game with Bill, and a guy who has an Ecuadorian wife that I've never met, or don't remember, who was nice.

Towards the exciting end of the game, they called me into the bedroom, they said William was almost turning over. On his chest, he pushes hard with his legs and puts his butt up into the air, but he does not yet get his arms, and thus can not turn over from that side yet. Diana, Aida and Virginia were amazed, but I've seen it before, and they blasted me for not telling Diana about this development. Sticking his butt up in the air. He did do it higher than I've ever seen it before, and is getting closer and closer to turning over that way. We don't really put him like that much. I do occasionally, but I prefer to sit him, which he's gotten better and better at staying in the position.

William eventually fell into a deep sleep, and Diana decided he was tired and needed to go home. I'm mum about that, because I think these parties are too much for him, but Diana does not. She says I'm projecting and I can't prove her wrong.

William slept on the way home, but woke up when we got home. He finally went to bed around 11, and Diana went to bed too. I went to bed a little later.

I woke up first at 3, but Diana insisted on feeding him. I went back to bed. He woke up later, and Diana jumped up again, so I sept in. I slept till 10, and it was wonderful. I got up and had some coffee and got the paper. But quickly Diana decided I had to hold William and we hung out for a while, while Diana got ready to go to her mother's. I've been lounging around since then, alone. I've got to look for jobs. I've been a bit slack since my 2 interviews. I really like spending time with William. It's overwhelming not working, with him, and I wonder how we're going to cope when I get a job.

William seemed especially full of energy this morning and kept grabbing things, my glasses, my hair, at pictures as I was walking him. He refused to let me put him down. Diana fed him a lot of oatmeal for breakfast and I'm going to have to maybe feed him more. He didn't eat anything but milk yesterday, because of Diana being gone, my exhaustion, the baptism and the party.

My mother sent me an anxiety-about-my-unemployment e-mail that got under my skin a little bit. She's a poster adult for the protestant work ethic. When I took unemployment she said I was the first one in the family to do so. I think she's wrong, and I'm not ashamed about it. I think working in the home is important work too.

No comments: