Sunday, September 25, 2005

320. Andres not Andrew

Andrew turns out to be named Andres. I saw the birth certificate and she wrote "Andres Wyatt Bell". Turns out she wanted Andres all along. I couldn't convince her the other way.

I'm going to call him Andrew. Andrew has a shoulder dystocia. As he was coming out of Diana, his left shoulder got caught on Diana's pelvis. There might be nerve damage. Because North Shore at Forest Hills Hospital doesn't have a pediatrics clinic, we can't check out and come back tomorrow. Once you're discharged, you can't come back. Thanks so much. Paperwork rules mean we can't have Andrew home today.

And the gynecologist who was going to do the circumcision heard this, and postponed her work, so we couldn't take him out and bring him home, and go somewhere else later. She never asked us what we wanted, like her brief work in the labor room, when she came in to break her water, without even discussing it. She was offended when, counter to the patient's bill of rights, we asked her to explain what she wanted to do and why. I think she's the main directly unpleasing person. The others are insurance and administrators who make rules.

Anyway, I'm looking into the dystocia to learn more about it. I think it's all right, but he might not be a referee in the NFL because he can't get his left hand up all the way, right now. They say it will probably go away. I was lifting it up and rotating it today.

The first doula called Diana to tell her that her story is the talk of the doulas. To be such a trooper, to stick it out and have a V-Bac.

Diana checked out reluctantly, and I stayed with Andrew and watched the Jets game. He guzzled down some formula, and then puked. I gave him less, and burped him successfully later, and he kept it down. I took some photos. I've taken almost 200 photos over the past few days, I think I need to cool my jets.

Virginia, Aida, Natasia and her father are fixing up the place, getting it ready for Andrew. William probably thinks Andrew was nothing but a bad dream. I wonder how he's going to take it tomorrow when Andrew comes home. He's had a few tastes, and has done quite well.

No comments: