Saturday, September 17, 2005

311. Birth Plan for Andrew

Our wishes for Childbirth
Diana Katherine Parks & Steve Bell
Due Date: September 29th
Patient of Dr. Claudia Ravins
Scheduled to deliver at North Shore at Forest Hills.
9/17/05

Birth Plan

This will be our second child, our second son. This birth plan is intended to express the preferances and desires for us for the birth. We fully realize that situations might arise such that our plan could not and should not be followed. However we hope all staff to discuss all proceedures with us, with the mother and partners before they are performed.

Sincerely,
Diana Parks & Steve Bell

Labor
I would prefer to avoid an enema and/or shaving of pubic hair.
I would like to be free to walk around during labor.
I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
I would like to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the first stage of labor.
I will be bringing my own music to play during labor.
I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
I do not want an IV unless I become dehydrated.

Monitoring
I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of Andrew.
I do not want an internal monitor unless Andrew has shown some sign of distress.

Labor Augmentation/Induction
I do not wish to have the amniotic membrane ruptured artificially unless signs of fetal distress require internal monitoring.

Anesthesia/Pain Medication
I realize that many pain medications exist — I'll ask for them if I need them.

Cesarean
Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.
If a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making process.
I would like my husband and sister present at all times if Andrew requires a Cesarean delivery.
I wish to have an epidural for anesthesia
So I can view the birth, I would like the screen lowered just before delivery of Andrew.
If Andrew is not in distress, Andrew should be given to my husband immediately after birth.

Episiotomy
I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for the baby's safety.
I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.
I would prefer an episiotomy rather than a tear.
I would like a local anesthetic to repair a tear or an episiotomy.

Delivery
I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth, including squatting.
I would like My husband and sister and/or nurses to support me and my legs as necessary during the pushing stage.
I would like a mirror available so I can see Andrew's head when it crowns.
I would like the chance to touch Andrew's head when it crowns.
Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming Andrew is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
I would like to have Andrew placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.

Immediately After Delivery
I would like to have My husband or sister cut the cord.
I would like to hold Andrew while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.
I would like to have Andrew evaluated and bathed in my presence.
I plan to keep Andrew near me following birth and would appreciate if the evaluation of Andrew can be done with Andrew on my abdomen, with both of us covered by a warm blanket, unless there is an unusual situation.
If Andrew must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, My husband and sister or some other person I designate will accompany Andrew at all times.
I would prefer to hold Andrew rather than have him placed under heat lamps.
I do not want a routine injection of pitocin after the delivery to aid in expelling the placenta.
I would like to see the placenta after it is delivered.
I would like to hold the baby for at least fifteen minutes before he is photographed, examined, etc., unless Andrew is in distress.
I would like to donate the umbilical cord blood, if possible.

Postpartum
I would like a private room, if available.
Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from Andrew.
I would like to have the baby "room in" and be with me at all times, if family members are present. If my family is not present, I would like the option of putting him in the nursery.

Breastfeeding
I plan to breastfeed Andrew and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to Andrew (including glucose water or plain water).

Circumcision
I would like Andrew to be circumcised before we check out of the hospital.

Eye Care
I would like to delay eye care until after I have bonded with the baby.

Photo/Video
I would like to take still photographs during labor and the birth.
I would like to make a videorecording of labor and/or the birth.

Other
I would like vitamin K to be administered orally to Andrew, if that is available..
My support people are my husband Steve Bell, my sister Virginia Salazar and a Doula named Jami. I would like them to be present during labor and/or delivery.
I would like my other children to be able to visit me and Andrew in the hospital.
I would prefer that no students, interns, or non-essential personnel touch me during my labor or the birth, but they may be present for learning purposes.

No comments: