Thursday, October 27, 2005

339. Thirty Pounds!

William was happy to see me when I came home Tuesday. Diana way playing Mulan, but he wasn't into it and eventually put in a Teletubies DVD which he has been watching a lot all day.

Cliff called. He's on vacation and wants to read more blog. I tried to update him. Andrew cheesed on me, and I had to go after a while, but we got to talk a little.

Wednesday night I took William to Barnes and Noble to get some more books. He fell asleep, and did not wake up after quite a while at the book store. So I got the books I picked out and took him home. He woke up 2 blocks from home. It's like he never went there. But he's got some cool new books.

Diana took William to the doctor Thursday. William weighs 30 lbs, and is 33 inches long (which is in the 75th percentile). Since he doesn't have 10 words nor can he name body parts, the doctor referred him to a speech pathologist, just to rule out problems. Cliff says it's not a real red flag, when children begin to speak, there is variation.

At first I felt very upset. But it's just ruling out, and Cliff said many children speak later, with no ill effects. A woman in the pediatrician's office said that her son who took longer to talk seemed smarter. The doctor denied a bilingual delay effect, but I've seen studies that show that. I'm sure everything will be OK, and being assessed will not be problematic, he might enjoy it.

No comments: