Friday, May 28, 2004

6. Catching up from last night

Around midnight, Diana ordered a bottle of formula. Since formula is about twice as nutritious as breast milk, sometimes he falls asleep, and when he sleeps he sleeps longer. She'd ordered the "knock out punch". But he's getting bigger, older, perhaps wiser. It did not work. And he wiggled towards the breast as he does, when he's hungry. The books say smacking his lips, sticking his tongue out, and putting his hand, or in his case, his fist in his mouth. Diana said, "the book didn't mention him wiggling into position." He does it on everyone, including me. He wiggles his way into breastfeeding position. He even does it in the crib. He gets his head in position, his body. And then when nothing arrives to feed him, he gets angry, and cries. I always think of the Field of Dreams line, "If you build it, they will come."

So Diana gave him some breast feeding to comfort him. She said, "this will do it." So she brought him in and I swaddled him. But he woke up, and my swaddling was poor. He grunted to get out. He was not fully cooked. So Diana fed him again, and had him fall asleep on her chest. That's the last I remember. I'll get the report later on how much she got up in the night. She's getting good rest now, so I hope she can recover and rest. She's a real trooper, trying her hardest. She's a great mother to William.

I got an e-mail from Cliff last night. He's going to be coming to the June 12th naming ceremony (at 1 p.m.). He's been Christened in the catholic church, you can see some photos on the web sites. I think I'll add some more photos to the web site, if he lets me. He just sighed. Liz likes the bottle eating grunting noises, but I like the sleeping coos. He's such a darling.

No comments: