Friday, August 05, 2005

289. Pumpkin

I took William over to Paul's, in part to, give Diana an evening off. Instead, Angie showed up late, and Diana got home 10 minutes before I did. Much to my chagrin. Still, I had a good evening with William and Paul. Angie arrested someone, and she worked later, the second night in a row, which has cannibalized our evenings. Wednesday it took our anniversary away from us. I was under the weather, so we had canceled our plans to go to Mesa Grill (my second time, it seems not to be). Angie says, "why didn't you say something?!" What were our options? The children were there, they needed to be taken care of. Diana's father can't take care of them alone for that long, just getting home, and anyway, Diana likes to do it.

I can air these situations publicly because Harry and Angie do not have a computer. They have not entered the age of the internet yet. Anyway, I'm not mad or judging her, working and having children are a really difficult thing. She's not hanging out or taking advantage of Diana, because Diana wants to do what she does. I think William will be the better for hanging around more children, it's a kind of family day care experience. I think it's helping in his socialization, more than just being alone would.

William fell asleep on the drive over to Paul's. He napped for an hour, so we got to have some adult talk, uninterrupted. William got to meet Pumpkin, Paul's cat, and he also played some with a childhood toy of Paul's. The toy is a car that you can take apart. It's pretty cool. William was a bit young for it, but it was cool that Paul would share this item with him. It obviously had important sentimental value for Paul, and I could see why, it was cool. Paul is not as much attune to the little children as the older ones, but he tries and I appreciate that. He is a good godfather, and I feel lucky that he will take some part in William's life. His godfather failed him when he needed him once, and he's remembered that and wants to do the opposite.

We went for pizza. William at the vegetables and cheese I put in his mouth, and had a little diet soda and some seltzer water. He tried to charm an Indian family. Then we went to the park briefly. William laid down on the cement and an Asian father said, "you let him do that?!" I said, "that which doesn't kill him, makes him stronger," but I felt a little guilty, like I was endangering my child by not being more uptight. I want to protect William, but I did not see danger in him laying on the cement for a few seconds.

Then we went to Paul's mother's apartment. She's wanted to meet her son's godson, and enjoys children. It was a joy to see her excitement at seeing a little child, she was very sweet. She was berating Paul for not giving her more notice so she could get a present. She was very very sweet. William was pretty good, but got tired and upset. She waves goodbye when you leave the building from her 12th floor apartment. I want to go back with Diana some time, and with Andrew.

No comments: