Sunday, August 31, 2008

Canada

We flew up Friday to Buffalo, rented a car, and came to the Canadian side. Our room has a lovely view of the falls. We got a little lost, and I was cranky, but we didn't get as lost as others.

Yesterday we went to Paul and Nadia's wedding in lovely Niagra-on-the-lake, a quaint and lovely little town. After the beautiful wedding we had a few hours before the reception, and we walked around it. The reception was lovely. We didn't stay for the whole thing, but I don't think it went on much longer. I'm not going to plug all the places and create links because this is a blog about the boys, not link for link sake. William broke two glasses, but someone told me to lighten up, they're an Italian family who likes children, so I tried to. I'm aware of how tense and pressured I am, hoping the boys will be more obedient, less rowdy. Not the way it is. The trick is to stay in the game without numbing down and tuning out.

The boys are obsessed with their godfathers. Paul being William and Ray being Andrew's. Ray doesn't come over as much (he's a Yankees fan, and I invite Paul over for Mets games and as busy as he is, he often comes). So to make up for it, I told Andrew that he has a shadow godfather, because when John first came to NYC, they called him "Boston Ray". He was perhaps the next Catholic on my list to ask to be Godfather if Ray decline. Ray and John are good friends. So anyway, I call John the shadow godfather, to make Andrew feel better, and they liked that. It was cool to see Bill and Paul as well, plus Billy, Mark and Mat. I met other friends I'd only heard about. Paul is such a good guy and has lots of close friends.

So today we went on the maid of the mist. We went to the IMAX theater to see a dinosaur movie, but they only show it at 1pm; Wish we would have known that. But the boys found some dinosaurs they liked in the gift shop, so they perked up. Right now they're running back and forth in the room, and whacking me underneath the table.

I think my favorite moment of the trip so far, was when Andrew saw Diana in her dress for the wedding, he said, "mommy you're a princess."

After seeing everyone, another favorite moment was when I was reading Naked by David Sedaris. I was reading his essay Naked, and I was just laughing out loud for the first two pages. I had to read it to Diana. There's nothing so precious as a belly laugh. My friend Tony just read his last book and really enjoyed it.

So here's Sedaris on Letterman, reading a short essay.



Sedaris by the way has nothing to do with Canada, that I know of.

Photos to follow when we get home. I took about a million.

here's another video I found:

No comments: