Saturday, November 25, 2006

438. Thanksgiving

My cold went to Andrew first. He didn't sleep well all week (neither
did we), until Friday when he slept till 11am! William had a terrible
night last night, and was weepy/upset quite easily today.

Our
Thanksgiving was good at Virginia and Tim's in New Jersey. We spent
Wednesday to Saturday there. So much more space for the boys to roam,
and they are kind and gracious hosts. Sorry we left such a mess.

Emma and AJ are getting christened today, congratulations to them. My poor grandmother Parks is in Newnan Hospital, I'm hoping she's going to be out soon.

Looking
at William's pictures he does not look always so happy. I'm getting a
few growling pictures. He's trying to reign in his urges to hit and
generally tantrum and I really respect the effort he's making. In a way
it makes me sad that he's got to master his will some because he's such
a sweet boy. He growls at Andrew sometimes, like I've growled at him.
What I do doubles back at me, parenthood can be a cruel mirror. But
it's also a good mirror, because he does have sweetness and kindness
too. He's become afraid of sharks and bugs and ghosts. His anger is
being projected out, and coming back to him, in these threats. I'm
working to help him to experience and feel his anger, but not act out,
and act in his best interest. To express it in more socially acceptable
ways.

I'm grateful to have such lovely boys, such a lovely wife,
such a lovely family, to have a job, co-op to live, my spiritual
community, my deeper friendships, to have found the teachings of the Buddha, to hear about his life, 2500 years later.

No comments: