Sunday, October 14, 2007

"I want to wear underwear."

William just said he wanted to wear underwear.

I got hot and stripped down to my underwear. William said he wanted to be like daddy. So I said he'd have to wear underwear. He said no first, but then later, said he wanted underwear. It inspired Andres, he wanted underwear too. Now for the accident in the underwear...

Andres had an accident. Then William had a little one, and then he went to the potty, and he put some in the potty! Then they asked for diapers. He sits on the potty in school, but he's yet to do something in the potty there.

We've been a bit lax, we're a couple of overwhelmed parents. I should speak for myself. I'm very overwhelmed by parenting, work, all the many demands in my life. I've got to work to disentangle so I can focus more on my priorities, though I have to say I think I've done OK on this.

Miss Shari says she needs to set strong limits with William. He can be a bit of an instigator. He wants to run around when she asks the kids to sit for a book reading. So she has to put him briefly in timeout when won't listen, and follow directions. I've been working to be more forceful to make William comply at the occasional limit. I'm aware of my own needs for order and compliance, and I watch how effective my efforts are.

Andres likes to read a book, while I read a book. He says, "I want to read myself." I try to get him to tell a story. At some point, he wants me to read.

No comments: