Friday, October 19, 2007

Andres' doctor appointment

Andres weighs 27.2 lbs, is 35 and 1/4 inches in height. He got a flu shot, had a TB test started, had urine and blood saved for testing. He's being referred to a pediatric opthamologist, he didn't pass the screening. Imagine if he needs glasses at this early age. He will be more sympathetic to my glasses, instead of mangling me and the glasses at times. I hope he doesn't need glasses yet, little boys need some freedom. This morning they both had snotty noses, William is getting over a cold, and Andres has a slight fever from his flu shot. They woke up at 6:30 this morning, instead of their average wake up time of 7. Wednesday we all slept to 7:45, and I had a huge rush to get William off.

There is a sad pall cast over our building because the little boy Stephen lost his father and Aminta lost her husband, due to a heart attack. It is very surprising. It reminds me of the fragility of life. How do you cope with that? The bow is in the air and it's going to fall. Where I work the clients have HIV. We have a memorial service fairly frequently, people feel sad and overwhelmed by the HIV/Aids crisis. Not to take anything away from them, but I'm going to die too, whether I have HIV or not. HIV may accelerate it, and lifestyle. But we all die. And for me the big question is how do we make sense of that. For me, it's simply that we need to live it up while we can, it's limited. When people get a terminal diagnosis, that clarifies things, helps to rid onself of the nonsense. But we all have a terminal diagnosis, it's just a matter of when. Stephen and Aminta's loss hits close to home for me, I worry about Stephen not having a father, Aminta not having a partner. I think about my family and if I was lost, what would happen to them. Life is so fragile. I must make the most of what I'm given.

No comments: