Sunday, September 10, 2006

423. Diversity and Limits

I love the diversity of our neighborhood. At the park today, we were closer to the Jewish section of Main Street Flushing, so there were some Jewish kids, which is quite a diverse thing in itself, from the religious orthodox Jews of Europe or the Middle East. But there was also a woman with a French accent, and an Asian man. The other day in Vliegh Park there was a Muslim woman with the complete hidden body thing, with only the eye slits. There was also a white woman with an indeterminate European accent with mulatto children. Many Indian (not Native American) and Hispanic and WASPs like me. Many varieties of traditional cultures from all over the world, and less traditional people like me, who love it all but can't really cling to my own culture. I have found a different religion, have merged with a different culture. I love the diversity of New York City. I find it really vibrant and alive. I know some people feel best when there's a tight community of similar values. I'm sure I would love that, but where am I going to find a Wasp/European/Hispanic hybrid Buddhist community? I want diversity and tolerance of difference. Not idiot tolerance, not unlimited permissivism. I still wish ethical, family oriented, and tending towards high culture instead of monster truck rallies, but I have room for that too. I like the racially mixed couple upstairs, the Hispanic woman with the Catholic white man upstairs, the Philippine families. It is a rich and hearty broth.

William got one time out for marginally provoking, and not diffusing a conflict with a little girl. William has gotten into a few shouting matches with other little kids. Also no pushing. I remember Wes saying on our week long visit, "ah he finally said no to William." William is getting a lot of no's, I want him to get some yeses too. Andrew gets no's too, about climbing into the window sill in his room, about climbing up onto the computer chair. I do believe in limits and teaching children to be civilized and easily integrated into the group without causing lots of troubles.

No comments: